Friday, March 19, 2010

Shredded Beef Enchiladas

I Love Mexican food, and I LOVE simple things that are easy to make. I do not claim to be a gourmet chef of any kind (I only make the simplest of things!), but quite often Ryan will say that _____ is "restaurant quality" or better than at a restaurant. This was one of the times. He said they were his favorite enchiladas I've ever made. So now that I've built them up, you'll have to try them and let me know what you think. I had a giant cross-rib roast so I cooked the whole thing in my crockpot with just some beef bouillon and then just used some of it and froze most of it for future super convenient dinners (see easy as I can make it for myself). We love the raw tortillas (found at most grocery stores, and especially in bulk at Sam's Club-our favorite). I cooked 8-10 of those up (20 seconds on a side in a frying pan-no oil needed) and shredded a bunch of colby jack cheese while I had the sauce simmering. The sauce is super easy-1 Western Family Enchilada sauce seasoning packet, 1 6 oz. can tomato paste, and 16 oz. water. Mix that together and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375 and assemble. I put some spoonfuls of sauce on the bottom of my 10x13 pan to it was covered with a thin layer. Then put some of the meat (not too much) in the tortilla along with a little cheese, roll up and place in the pan seam side down. Continue to do this until you've filled your pan and used up your meat etc. Then top with more sauce (I used pretty much all of it) and cover with cheese. Cook 15-20 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and kind of crunchy on the edges.

shredded beef-cross rib roast (2 cups.)
cheese-colby jack
tortillas
Enchilada seasoning pack
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
16 oz. water

Hope you enjoy, they are definitely going to be a regular thing at our house!

2 comments:

Cori said...

sounds yummy, Jakob has been bugging for red enchiladas since we had the white ones!! I have a big roast in the fridge, I'm gonna have to try it. plus I always use the corn tortillas and fry them for a minute, which adds a ton of time on and not to mention all the oil. I think I all ready love this method! Cant wait to try!

Cori said...

Amanda I made these Thursday for dinner for all our family in town. They were a big hit!! My 2 brothers pracitally ate a 9x13 by themselves!! Good thing I had 2 pans of them. I have never used the enichlada packet before, I usually buy the expensive cans of enichilada sauce. But it tasted great. And its way cheaper! Thanks for the recipe!!