Friday, April 17, 2009

Low Fat Granola

This is one we like at our house and I happened to make a fresh batch this week. The kids love and I love it. Just having a bowl of granola with milk, or with yogurt or just to snack on. This is a recipe I got from my mom and the great thing about it there is no oil in it, and most of the stuff are things you would have around your house. and besides the nuts it only cost a couple dollars to make. I hope you like it as much as as we do.

Granola

1 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. water
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. vanilla
7 c. oats
3-5 c. add ins (sesame seeds, nuts, coconut, etc.)

Preheat oven to 275
Combine brown sugar, water and salt in a small pot and heat up and stir until most of the brown sugar is dissolved. Stir in vanilla.
In a large bowl combine oats and add ins (if you want to add raisins or any other dried fruit, do that after it bakes). Stir in the liquid. Pour onto 2 cookie sheets sprayed with cooking spray. Cook for an hour stirring every 15 minutes and rotating pans half way through. I usually just put everything on one pan, for less dishes and I stir it every 30 minutes and bake it for 90 minutes.
Let cool and then put in a container to store (if you don't have a big enough container I usually put mine in the old 2 lbs. oatmeal container, one recipe fills it up)


Erin, Spanish Fork, Utah

1 comment:

Cori said...

Thanks for posting, my kids really like granola so I will be making this soon!