Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

I love this pizza dough...I think it's a lot better if you use freshly ground wheat (I like the white wheat better than red) instead of the stuff you buy at the store. I think this recipe usually makes 2 pizzas...

1 t. brown sugar
1.5 cups warm water
1 T. yeast
1 T. olive oil
1 t. salt
3-3.25 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. garlic powder
1.5 t. Italian seasoning
1.5 t. dried basil

-Dissolve sugar in water. Add yeast. Let proof till frothy.
-Add oil and salt, then flour
-Knead 8-10 minutes (preferably in a Kitchen Aid or Bosch mixer)
-Turn dough out into an oiled bowl and let raise 1 hour
-Punch dough down, divide in 2, let rise 45 minutes (this rise is optional...I think it makes it taste better, though)
-Roll out (I like to roll it out either on corn meal, or coat my oiled pan with corn meal to make the dough a little chewier), place on oiled pan (at this point you can let it rise again for 10-30 minutes if you like a softer crust, or don't bother if you like a thinner crust)
-Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, remove from oven, top with desired toppings, and bake another 10-15 minutes till toppings are cooked to desired done-ness.

No comments: